Tuesday, May 23, 2006

KIP day

I phoned the museum and the lady said that the museum area itself wouldn't be ideal as it is too small to seat us and as it's Carnival day the courtyard is being used by a marching/brass band, and the Learning for Life rooms are being used by another group.

She wished us luck and thought it was a 'good thing' and especially seemed interested when I said that we would have gimmicky things like the giant needles, knitting with plastic bags, etc., and so I said that if this didn't happen on 10th June we could as a group promote ourselves in their courtyard at any time (maybe later on in the Summer when we are more sure of good weather) and she said that would be great. That would give us more time to be organised and get even more stuff together to draw the public in.

She suggested I phone the Town Hall Centre about using the Gallery area as there may be an art exhibition of some kind at the time and we would therefore get members of the public passing through. However, it could be a day that the market research groups are using it. Having been to an art show there I also think that wherever we sat we would be in the way of something and just end up being a nuisance. If there isn't an art show that day, there would be nothing to get the public in and it would just be us sitting there having an extra meeting :)

So, we have 5 days to find a venue and agree on it or we will have to come off the WWKIP website and do something of our own later. Can anybody give me any feedback as to what to do? We did think about Hannays but it is really too small. If nobody comments then I think we will have to give up on 10th June and just do something of our own later. Any last ideas? Anybody think the Town Hall Centre Gallery would work?

6 Comments:

Blogger The Wool Gatherers said...

Thanks for the feedback Julia :) There is a public gardens in Braintree if anybody else fancies that? Also, Franklins is a good idea, as long as you don't mind that you will be getting people who 'craft' already rather than introducing new people to knitting. It sounds like I'm being picky but nowhere seems 'just right' to me, with somewhere to sit comfortably but has shelter if it rains, and that the general public will see us as they walk by. Just a shame it's Carnival day as the museum courtyard would be ideal, or outside the library if we could get seating. We could get inside both those places if the heavens opened and they are seen by passers-by.

I've decided that I won't be doing it as DD is in her first carnival with the Brownies and she insists that she really wants me about from 10am when they decorate the float, and I can only concentrate on one thing at once.

I'll take our contact details off the WWKIP website contact page and if anybody else wants to put theirs on please do so :) There are 4 days left to confirm details. Remember anybody can post on here if you want to go ahead with the Public Gardens (and fingers crossed for good weather!) or Franklins, or the Fire Station if Jenny finds out anything. Otherwise, as a group we will definitely do SOMETHING later on in the year when it's not carnival and when it's likely to be sunny.

9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that given it's Carnival Day and we're finding it really difficult we give it a miss for this year. I like the idea of the gardens, but if it pours down :0( I also wouldn't be able to go into Colchester it would make my day just impossible.

We've now got a whole year to plan and book something in somewhere.

Sally

10:26 AM  
Blogger Minnieknits said...

Righto - later on in the year it is then! I like the idea of outside the museum. They had an Art exhibtion last year there which seemed well attended, so good advertising and nice weather should pull a bit of a crowd!
Thanks Tina for all your efforts on phone calls and info gathering.Hope Alice enjoys the carnival, Libby and David will be in the crowd somewhere waving frantically to her!!

10:38 AM  
Blogger T said...

S'orlright mate, it would have been nice to do, but it can still be fun, probably more so, later on in the year can't it?

Next month maybe we can sort out our little trip to the 'cheap shop' in Jenny's bus? :D It would be nice to all go together (as long as I can sit in the front so I don't barf on the yarns, lol)

4:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey all
I would also need a Tiptree trip on a Saturday - and my Summer weekends are filling up rapidly with the committments of my nearest and dearest. Can we bring diaries on the 19th and try to book something in?

See you all soon - my shawl get's it's inaugural outing this Saturday.

Sally

9:56 AM  
Blogger The Wool Gatherers said...

I'll make a journal entry for this Sally so it doesn't get lost. Have fun on Saturday and knock 'em dead with the shawl :)

8:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home